Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Perfect Fit. . .


So I was reading today in "Vanity Fair", and yes normally I don't consider magazine reading "real" reading, however, there was a good article, and it took me more than five minutes to read it, which is another sign that hey, this article isn't just some fluffy easy read. Alright, so it was an easy read, but interesting and it did take me longer than five minutes, does it qualify for "real" reading? No, why are we even debating this? Lay off me, I just finished a novel, and yes it was good, but I haven't had time to search out another one quite yet.

So. . . in the article Cate Blanchett, was talking about a number of things, her career, marriage, children, projects, etc. One of the points she made got me thinking, she said, "I thought the most important thing was security, because of my mother. . . I thought I want to do something more practical." Of course she's speaking of her career, she was raised with two other siblings by a single mother after her father died. . . ."she found she couldn't get away from acting. . .It was inescapable. I loved the looseness and freedom.. . .when something is a vocation, you don't really make a decision about it." I found myself so jealous of this view. So envious of this passion. I know that other people feel this, and go on about their lives knowing that they do what they love, and what their hearts cry out for them to do. I am just not one of these people.

I work because I have to. I work because I have a child to support, and bills to pay, and a phone I don't want to get shut off. Is my work fulfilling? No, not always, well truthfully hardly ever. Do I wake up in the morning just over-joyed to traipse off to work? Let's not even answer that question.

Why is it so easy for some to find something that feels truly suited for them, while others struggle to find that perfect match? Why do some eighteen year olds know straight out of high school what they want to do for the next fifty years or so, and yet there are fifty year olds out there going, well I still don't know.
I heard somewhere once that the average adult changes professions like six times, like actual career paths. I was amazed., but I will probably fall into this category. I'll be the first to admit, that I am just average, but I still find myself wishing I could find that one profession that just called my name, and begged for me to love it, as it loved me.

Is it sheer luck for those that know what they want to do, are successful at it, and live happily doing it for many years? I'm not talking contentment here, I'm talking I love my job, and can't believe how lucky I am to be doing this for a living. This can't be the majority right? This has to be the minority of very lucky people.

No comments:

Post a Comment