Saturday, July 11, 2009

when did this happen?

When did I become a ma'am'? I was at the rodeo today, yes a rodeo. This is what my life is now that a certain someone has decided the child is my sole responsibility and mine alone. Why should I get to go to Vegas or New York? How silly of me to even hope really. So, at the rodeo a young cowgirl asked me if I was my uncle's sister? Now, my uncle is not THAT old, and he started having kids later in life, so he does have a nearly six year old. I have a nearly two, but does this really qualify me as his sister? Maybe I should track down this cowgirl, who couldn't have been more than nine, and ask her if she meant to say "much much younger sister?" my uncle's brother, (who is also my uncle obviously) is only a mere two years older than me.
But I find it happening more and more, this being grouped with the older crowd, I'm not even married (well soon, hopefully) DAMNITT!! Doesn't that count for something? Being called "ma'ma." Could I at least pass for 25? 24 maybe? I really want to go play the "guess my age" game with a random stranger who would be honest, yet kind. I don't think I look too old, maybe I need to start wearing more sunscreen, do a few chemical peels, maybe a face lift.

That's me on the left, I got the head scarf at an early bird special at Macy's...


Technically I'm still under TLC's "no miniskirts over 35" rule. WAY under.
Maybe just more sleep, will help. It can only get worse from here, I'm worried I'm aging before my time, I'm still in my prime people, right?

3 comments:

  1. i remember when i had this moment. i think mine happened when i started subbing more at lil gym and realizing I was the old one that totally had nothing in common with the girls that work there....

    but to make you feel at least a bit better about the ma'am thing.... it was at a rodeo, everyone's a ma'am or sir at one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been called ma'am by a guy my own age. I wanted to strangle him. This was all pre-mommyhood and I think I may have been a newlywed. I may not groom the same way I did when I was single, had no kid and no real responsiblities, but do I really look that bad? Come ON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia- SO TRUE. I feel like an old fart next to those young hip girls at the gym. Speaking of hip, I went to the mall the other day (it's been a couple of years) and I've been so out of touch with fashion that I didn't even know the difference between a skirt and a shirt. They look the same. Does a belt make it a shirt??? *scratching head* I'm a loser.

    ReplyDelete