Saturday, February 14, 2009

Its a Wonderful Life

I take great pride in the fact that I'm not a movie crier, I don't get emotionally charged very easily, and stay pretty level headed. That's why this morning while going through random blogs I got a bit of a surprise. Whilst reading through some random blogs, I came across one about the state of the U.S's economic situation. The author talked about a man whom had to be at least 70 asking for a job at Trader Joe's, and in the process flexing his bicep to ensure the assistant store manager he was strong and capable. In this same post there was a 9 minute clip from the movie "It's a Wonderful Life," Its at the end where George decides he wants to live, after he realizes his wish is granted he rushes home to hug his wife and children. Numerous neighbors and friends come to pile money on the table, money that will help keep George from being taken off to jail. I just was crying as I watched this, (what me crying? What's happened to me?) My justification, how often do I actually take the time to appreciate my life, and all that I have in it? How often do I over look things I should recognize and appreciate? How many times has the world passed me by as I've been too busy focusing on the mundane-ity of life, work, feeding the child, and stress that feels as if its creeping in on me? I know other people are good at balancing stress, work, gratitude, love, kids, and other important matters, why can't I be?


I guess I do have to admit life is great, I live in a world where my child consumes much of my time, energy, and day, and it is wonderful. I couldn't ask for a child with more wonder, adventure, happiness, and love. I'm healthy, I have good people in my life, I've had some wonderful experiences growing up, traveling, meeting many people that have affected my life in positive ways. I look back on my life and I have made some horrible mistakes, but without them I wouldn't be where I am today. Which, mind you, isn't my ideal or my optimal, but it helps me to strive for a better life for me and my little boy.
This world is full of good; its full of good people, amazing places, calming sunrises, and colorful sunsets, oceans and beaches that make life seem better just by being there, music that can alter and enhance moods, breath taking art, great food, mind changing movies, eye opening books, rainy days that make you appreacite the sunny ones even more, it has over-looked beauty and everyday heroes. Its often hard to see these things because life gets in the way.
Thank you George for giving me a moment to stop myself, and the world around me and realize that life is beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. The whole not crying thing is inherited my in-laws just think that I am heartless because they are very emotional people and I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen to you, so optimistic! You inspire me as much as George.

    ReplyDelete