Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dress Etiquette


Social Experiment: Nearing the end of Week One:
I have made it this far, and as I say this I am sitting here in shorts, dress-less, in my defense I have not yet showered today, and just woke up from a nap. Boy, do I sound like a winner. I worked this morning and upon returning home, a very tired little boy greeted me. He insisted on sleeping in my bed, which is understandable, my bed is what I imagine it would be like sleeping on the inside of a cloud. Wrapped up, cushioning your every movement. It's AMAZING! The tired little boy is still sleeping off his late night last night and early morning today. I really can't go back in there and wake him just to get a skirt.

Now, let me say I have gotten some flack for doing this experiment, there are nay sayers out there. People who think this is absurd, pointless, and undeserving of being called a social experiment. I have been mocked, tested, and called silly, but I have withstood this criticism. Some think this social experiment will prove nothing, to them I ask is changing the world all about removing the polluting factories, doing away with violence on television, adopting impoverish children from foreign countries, or could there be more to this? Isn't change brought about by opening people's eyes to the things in the world which they may not have seen before? Is it not educating young minds about different ways of life, living outside ourselves to prove the only way to change is to take the first step toward it. Think about it naysayers, critics, and concerned family and friends....

Doing this experiment has opened my eyes to a couple of things;
#1- 5 year old have different rules, than 26 year olds do. For example when a five year old wears a skirt she can still get away with doing this.....


When you're 26 not a good idea to be flung around in the air flashing your business for all to see. Although, what goes on behind closed doors, in a private environment is your business.

#2- As a mother, I sit on the floor and play, bend down, squat, and am generally not in a lot of positions which are conducive to a dress wearing lifestyle. I have been forced to sit more creatively on the floor, check behind me before assuming a squat, and paying attention to where my skirt falls. My position must be one which the dress falls in such way that the least amount of exposure is achieved. I have to think about angles, and peeping eyes, and sudden gusts of unexpected wind.

#3- In Utah our experience of Spring presents us with an array of temperature to be dealt with or enjoyed. In the last week it has snowed, when you are in a skirt and it snows your outside time is limited. My legs have slowly turned from whitey to smurf in no time flat, chills have taken over my entire body beginning with my bare legs, and working their way up. I curse the snow at this point, as I have been doing for months possibly years now, and I go on with my skirt wearing ways. On the other side of a Utah Spring, it was 70 degrees yesterday, my bare legs relished in the vitamin D, basked in the warmth of it, and my voice praised it's name, "SUN!!!" I sang, "Sssunnnnnnnnn...." The breeze was nice, and the dress convenient.


#4-Today I received my first "Are you leaving the house like that? You Look skanky" comment. The responsible dress quickly became my favorite. I probably would have worn the dress for the next two days if the little guy hadn't gotten a spaghettio fingerprint right on the front of it, causing a need for a trip to the washer.

#5- I miss jeans, more than I can say, it hurts to have been away from them for so long, and I hope to reacquaint myself with them as soon as possible. My experiment is only a little longer than a week from ending now, at which point I may sleep in my jeans just to welcome them back into my life.

3 comments:

  1. Well good luck to you, you have made it thus far and shouldn't give up. Some of you rclothes have always been questionable and that hasn't bothered you before and shouldn't bother you now. You are who you are and that is something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy, sometimes the reason we fought constantly throughout childhood presents itself ever so clearly. And just for the record I am proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be proud, and I wasn't being rude I was just copmmenting.

    ReplyDelete